When your wisdom teeth are coming through, there are practical things you can do to make it less likely that gums become infected. These actions include:
- Practicing good oral hygiene: Brushing teeth twice a day, flossing, and using mouthwash can help reduce the bacteria in the mouth that cause infections.
- Visiting the dentist regularly: Your dentist would be able to monitor your oral health and take preventative actions against dental health issues.
- Visiting dental hygienist regularly: Your dentist will give you a recommendation of how often you should see a dental hygienist. The hygienist thoroughly cleans between your teeth and close to your gums, which can prevent infections and complications.
- Drinking plenty of water: This helps to flush bacteria and food away from the teeth and gums.
- Avoid sugary foods: Sweet foods can get stuck inside the broken gums, encouraging bacteria growth.
If you are experiencing any wisdom tooth pain, make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. Please check our opening hours and make a call to book your appointment.