Compared to other substances (such as collagen and fat) that have been used for lip augmentation, hyaluronic acid fillers offer a lot of advantages.
- Safety: This is perhaps the most important advantage of hyaluronic acid fillers. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is found in the body of every individual so the risk of an allergic reaction is almost zero. This is in contrast with collagen, which is an animal-based product and has triggered severe allergic reactions in several people. The only risk of allergic reactions arising from the use of hyaluronic acid fillers is posed by other components present such as lignocaine and other excipients.
- Immediate results: While it may take some time before the effects of other types of fillers manifest, the effects of hyaluronic acid fillers are seen immediately, so you do not really need weeks of planning if you want the augmentation for an event.
- Gradual pace of treatment: Since results are seen immediately, it is possible to carry out the lip augmentation procedure gradually. The injections could be administered over different appointments until the perfect pout is achieved. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who do not want the change to appear too sudden or are not exactly sure of what they want.
- Perfect control over lip volume: The amount of filler injected is predetermined and can be easily controlled by the doctor so you can be sure of getting the desired volume from the procedure.
- Reversibility: In case you change your mind after the procedure or in the event of any mistake by your doctor, hyaluronic acid fillers offer the advantage of being reversible. Your doctor can easily inject another substance (hyaluronidase) that is capable of dissolving the hyaluronic acid, restoring your lip back to its previous state.
- Takes less time and causes less discomfort: the procedure lasts for less than an hour and there usually is less bruising on the lips compared to other types of fillers. You could resume your regular activities immediately after the procedure. Besides, bumps that may arise from moving your lips can be dissolved easily so there really is nothing to worry about.
- Long duration of activity: although hyaluronic acid injections are not permanent, the results obtained could last for about 6 months or more. You can easily get another injection if you notice the effects have started disappearing.