Dental bonding, also known as composite bonding or composite veneer, is one the least invasive form of dental veneer that requires no drilling and no injection for instantly changing the shape of teeth and transforming your smile! By process of adding composite resin material that matches the colour of your teeth, the shape and size of the teeth are modified till the desirable aesthetic result is achieved. Dental bonding is a simple and non invasive way of changing your smile when it is done by a skilled and artistic cosmetic dentist!
Placement of a thin layer of a material over a tooth, in dentistry, is referred to as a dental veneer or laminate. Dental bonding is the process of adding a layer of resin based material that in most cases is directly placed onto the tooth. It is then shaped, contoured and polished to a desirable aesthetic result and a nice finish. Dental bonding differ to porcelain veneers in that dental bonding is made from composite resin polymers and fillers and not from porcelain. Hence dental bonding have the advantage that they do not need to fully cover a tooth to achieve a nicer smile.
“One of the advantages of a composite veneer is that it does not need to fully cover all of a tooth. In this case, except the two front teeth, only the upper half of the teeth next to the gum are covered with composite veneers to mask the yellow discolouration of the teeth in the least invasive way. Such a technique is not possible with porcelain veneers”.
Almost anyone can have dental bonding for aesthetic or non aesthetic reasons and dental bonding can be used to;
- Improve the appearance of the teeth and their looks.
- For protection of the teeth as the result of wear and tear.
- Changing the colour of teeth, usually to a whiter colour.
- To improve or correct the alignment of the teeth.
- For closing or reducing gaps between the teeth.
- To increase the size of the small teeth like peg shaped teeth.
- To repair a broken section or a damaged tooth.
Dental bonding or composite bonding is one of the most effective and least invasive methods for improving your smile. In comparison to alternative option of porcelain veneers, dental bonding benefits can be listed as:
- There is no need for drilling the teeth in a vast majority of the cases. Therefore dental bonding is one of the most advantageous forms of dental veneers.
- Dental bonding is almost fully reversible in most cases.
- Dental bonding does not always need to cover all of the tooth surfaces. This makes dental bonding to be an ideal choice for closing or reducing gaps between the teeth.
- Dental bonding is ideal for closing or reducing the space with the top front teeth, known as Diastema.
- Dental bonding is easily repairable. If a porcelain veneer gets damaged, a new veneer will be needed and has to be made by the lab. So it takes time and is costly. Dental bonding can be easily and directly repaired in the same visit and is much more economical.
- Dental bonding is much easier to reverse and remove from teeth than the porcelain veneers. This is because dental bonding is done by addition and usually no tooth is drilled off. So what is added as bonding can be removed.
- Dental bonding is usually completed in one visit. This is because dental bonding is directly placed on the teeth and then shaped and contoured and polished while you are on the chair. With dental bonding the transformation of your smile is almost instant.
- Dental bonding is usually cheaper than porcelain veneers or crowns.
- Almost anyone can have dental bonding as long as they have teeth.
The fee is based on the skill and experience of the treatment provider, how long it takes to complete the work and its complexity. Each dental bonding currently cost between £195 to £295. This is subject to change and please for more up to date cost see our fees page. Our fees place dental bonding in a lower price range than porcelain veneers.
To compare with porcelain veneers as an alternative option:
- Dental bonding can get stains like your own teeth. But the remedy is easy and they can be polished and cleaned regularly. How fast dental bonding can stain very much depends on diets and habits of an individual, similar to natural teeth..
- The appearance and quality of dental bonding depends on the skill and experience of the dentist treating you. Any dentist can add composite material to a tooth but not every dentist can do beautiful composite bonding.
- Dental bonding cannot be whitened. But this is true with any form of dental restorations including porcelain veneers. Ideally teeth should be whitened first and then have the dental bonding or porcelain veneers done. Then the colour of the veneers can be matched to the whitened teeth.
Dental bonding, on average, last about 3-5 years in comparison to porcelain veneers lasting about 7-10 years on average, although the majority of the dental veneers last a lot longer. In many cases we have seen dental bonding to last 10 years or longer and 20 years with porcelain veneers. The secret to longer lasting dental veneers is keeping good oral hygiene and maintenance and using night guards if you are bruxist.
Dental bonding does not break in the same way as a porcelain veneer can break. It is very rare for dental bonding to come off. Dental bonding can chip for a variety of reasons. Biting and chewing on hard food being is one of the most common reasons for chipping the veneers or grinding and clenching teeth. But even if they do break, Composite bonding is usually easily repaired in one visit. This is not the same with porcelain veneers.
Once your suitability is assessed in your free no obligation consultation for dental bonding, in vast majority of cases, you are advised to consider a “Trial Smile”, specially when many teeth are being treated. A trial smile is a process of making the changes to your teeth on a cast model of them first. Based on the shape and design you wish to have for your dental bonding, the dental technician by using wax, makes the desirable shape and dental bonding on the cast model of your teeth. it is therefore a mock build up of the dental bonding to allow you to see what shape teeth you will end up with.
This is done by taking an impression of your teeth and sending it to the lab. Based on your requests and expectations, the modifications are made to your teeth on the cast model by an experienced dental technician.
While your Trial Smile is being made, if you have decided to whiten your teeth, you proceed with the teeth whitening. In a review added to your teeth, shaped, contoured and polished to get that beautiful smile you are looking for.
Book your free, no-obligation consultation online
Transform your smile in one visit with dental bondings
Dental bonding cost between£195-£295 each
1-3 years 0% finance available